Watch the Webinar Now
by filling out this form
This is a special opportunity to hear directly from Dr. Janet Sturm, author of the First Author Writing Curriculum™ and Kelly Fonner, MS, consultant in assistive and educational technology.
Now more than ever, it’s important to integrate writing time (as a means of communication) for students with complex needs. But writing is challenging when:
- Many students are at a functional level (copying, tracing, and writing their names)
- Some can’t even hold a pencil or type a single word on a computer
- Many have difficulty maintaining attention at writing time (especially on zoom)
In this webinar, Janet and Kelly unpack these challenges and share a proven model of writing instruction and measurement (using First Author Writing Curriculum) that both students and teachers enjoy! They also include technology-based strategies that will carry over from virtual learning to in-person.
Join Janet and Kelly as they demonstrate writing instruction with First Author. You’ll come away with practical ways to:
- Get Started with simple, “anywhere” topic selection tips
- Choose Your Tools—Make writing accessible through technology-based strategies and tools including “alternative pencils”
- Map the lessons to meet student needs—Engage students with culturally responsive topics, age-respectful content, and spin off activities
- Facilitate shared communication through Author’s Chair activities—the ultimate communication and engagement platform
- Measure Writing to understand where each student is at and show progress over time