Preparing for Extend School Year Programs
Presentation by: Kim Burke, M.Ed
Live presentation was held on June 6, 2023
Hear valuable insights and practical strategies for a successful Extended School Year experience. This session will address the unique needs of educators providing ESY instruction including curriculum suggestions and support needed.
In this recorded webinar, Kim shares the program structure used at her district which includes six weeks of instruction, Monday through Thursday, with half-time ELA and half-time Math sessions lasting 1.5 hours each. Kim shares strategies used to select thematic units of study they have found are well suited for summer instruction.
Progress monitoring and data tracking is also covered and organizational strategies to ensure teachers have the necessary IEP paperwork.
Request access to learn how to support students effectively during ESY, and don’t forget to assign licenses to year-round teachers post-ESY for smooth beginning-of-year planning.
- Practical strategies for a successful Extended School Year (ESY) experience
- Insights on the unique needs of 5th graders transitioning to junior high and 8th graders transitioning to high school during ESY
- An example of a weekly ESY structure of six weeks, Monday through Thursday, with half-time ELA and half-time Math sessions lasting 1.5 hours each
- Suggestions for training teachers on suggested Readtopia units for ESY
- Progress and data tracking methods and strategies to ensure teachers have the necessary IEP paperwork
- Learn how to effectively support students during ESY
- A reminder to ensure licenses to year-round teachers post-ESY for smooth beginning-of-year planning
This 45-minute webinar is designed for Special Education Administrators, Teachers and Instructional Coaches.