Readtopia Thematic Unit— Mysteries and Mummies anchored by King Tut
The theme, Mysteries and Mummies teaches students that there are always challenges in life. It takes tenacity to overcome those challenges.
ELA / Literature Component—ELA graphic novel at five levels
Each of Readtopia’s thematic units connects content-area subjects with graphic novels at 5 to 7 levels. The Mysteries and Mummies thematic unit is anchored by the story of King Tut.
In the new Readtopia thematic unit, Mysteries and Mummies for Upper Elementary Students, you will meet Howard Carter. As a boy, Howard loved learning about ancient Egypt and he dreamed of one day finding the lost mummy of the ancient king, Tutankhamun – King Tut! Come along with Howard and share his adventures to see how his years of searching paid off!
Content Area Learning Component — Social Studies and Science
New to Upper Elementary Units – Sight Words
Math Objectives for Mysteries and Mummies –
- Addition-Combine sets and count to add; Use single and double digit numbers to add.
- Geometry-Identify shapes that are the same; Sort shapes by number of sides or angles.
- Money-Identify the value of money, more and less; counting on.
- Numbers and Operations in Base Tens-Combine sets and count to add; Use repeated addition to solve problems.
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking-Use shapes and numbers to create a pattern.
- Time-Sequence pictures using “before,” “during,” and “after;” Tell time to the hour, half hour, and minute.